Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The tongue



A-ha! It's that touchy subject...the tongue. No no no, I am not talking about the taste buds and muscles and how bad it hurts to bite it, what I am saying is we should "figuratively" bite it more often! Shoot, forget figuratively for some, if you need to literally bite your tongue to keep from spewing what should not be spewed, then DO IT!

This morning in our Good Morning Girls reading, we read James 3:10 which says "Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not be. Now, doesn't it just strike deeper when you are commanded with an "ought not"? Okay, so maybe it's just me. Regardless, we are warned about the tongue over and over throughout the word of God (93 times to be exact), so why is it STILL so much of a problem? Why can we not tame our tongues? James 1:26 tells us that if we cannot tame our tongue, our religion is worthless. What we are being told is that what we say can totally devoid the way others view Christ.

Why is that? Well, because we are the body of Christ as Christians, and when we speak in a manner unbecoming, others see our actions as his actions, so we are hurting the kingdom with our tongue.

The tongue is mighty and powerful. It can build, and it can tear down.

We should all make a concerted effort to dig in and make certain our tongue is being used to build up and edify. Do not rely on your own strength, look to the Holy Spirit to help you.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow - really great thoughts. I would say that my tongue is absolutely one of my weakest areas. Words spew out of my mouth before my brain engages - and God knows I need a bridle on it! Hurting the kingdom with my tongue - it's on my prayer list every morning. Especially where my family is concerned!

    ReplyDelete

I *love* getting feedback and comments. I will publish links to other blogs, just as long as they are not derogatory to a belief I hold in high esteem. I will post comments that disagree with my stance, as long as they are respectfully written. Most importantly, I will do my best to reply to all of my comments. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.