Monday, August 1, 2011

Cutting the Cable




About 2 years ago, after a move, we decided to cut the cable television out of our lives, and the lives of our children. However, after about a month, we missed the diversion and signed up for it again. That was about 16 months ago. However, we are once again at a place where we are ready for it to go away. I kept it for selfish reasons. I enjoy *some* shows, and it keeps my kids entertained. Yes, I just confessed to using the TV as a babysitter for the kids. It has become more and more common for a show to make me cringe. To make me feel ashamed.

I was talking to Chris about it the other night.  He said "If it were up to me, we wouldn't have that trash coming into our house anymore. I don't like what it's teaching the kids and how they are so wrapped up in it". Umm, well, IT IS up to YOU. You are the leader of our household, and if you want it gone, then, it's outta here.

It is amazing how it changes things. The kids are already upset about it. They don't think it's "that bad". How do we "un-do" the exposure we have already given them?  We know what is right, and we know this time it is not going to be just a month long. I won't say it will be forever, but I pray we discover other ways of passing time. I don't mind not watching TV...I love books and music. My family, not so much.

   Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you and your family. We have cut cable, as well. We do have a Netflix account, but we seem to have so much more control of what is viewed and when. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you won't regret it. We haven't had cable or any service like that since the summer of 2008. At first there was a bit of withdrawal but it fades quickly. Lots of shows can be watched online for free the next day, too, if you just *have* to keep up with your favorite.

    As for things to do with the kiddos: family game night is fun (rotate who gets to chose which game) and so are crafts and we've even done family letter writing where everyone 'dictates' what to write in a letter to far away relatives and friends. My kids love to be outside, so eating dinner outside, catching fireflies, tending to the garden/animals and just playing outside fills in a lot of the time. They also help me plan upcoming meals, so that fills in time, too. It won't take long before it's no big deal to them. I have to say, it makes holidays and birthdays SO nice, too, because they haven't seen 40 gazillion commercials!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up without cable, I read a lot. I would love to cut ours. It angers me, it sickens me. Disney shows are some of the worst!

    ReplyDelete

I *love* getting feedback and comments. I will publish links to other blogs, just as long as they are not derogatory to a belief I hold in high esteem. I will post comments that disagree with my stance, as long as they are respectfully written. Most importantly, I will do my best to reply to all of my comments. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.