Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cleanliness is next to Godliness, part two...


When we reflect upon cleanliness, we will never achieve a true clean until we deal with the other type of cleanliness, a cleanless that penetrates completely to our soul. The Bible is very clear and talks about this subject repeatedly. I have little "pictures" here with three of the verses, but here they are listed out for you:

Isaiah 1:16
Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil
Psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me.
1 John 1:9
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Psalm 51:7
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Matthew 5:8
“Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Ezekiel 36:25
I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you.
Leviticus 19:28
You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.
If you really read and reflect upon these verses, it is pretty convicting. At least I know for myself it is. I do believe that there is more he has given us to reflect on, and these next two verses encompass the full jest it:
1 John 1:7
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

To keep you spirit pure you need to acknowledge your sin, ask forgiveness for those sins, and make a concerted effort to forsake those sins. In everything we can use Philippians 4:8 as our guide:
Is it true?
Is it honorable?
Is it just?
Is it pure?
Is it lovely?
Is it commendable?
Is it of excellence?
Is it worthy of praise?
If our answer to any of these is "no", then it is probably dirt for our spirit.
When out spirit is dirty, it doesn't matter what the outside. Think of it this way...you can have an immaculately clean vehicle of the finest quality. However, if the engine is full of dirt and debris, it is going to break down and it's worth greatly reduced.
Don't let your engine get bogged down...




2 comments:

  1. Heather, what a terrific reminder for us all! Phil. 4:8 always reminds me of a lesson from Kay Arthur that I heard years ago. She suggested using that verse to 'frisk' thoughts as they even entered your mind. It's easier to work on preventing an inappropriate thought from creeping in to your thoughts than to root out the dwelling on it, gossiping, feeling bitter, etc. that some of these things start, once rooted. Just wanted to share! Thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts through your blog - very nice read! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Heather! Philippians 4:8 is a favorite of mine and it's constantly in my mind as I make decisions throughout the day. I agree with Linda, one these negative and bad thoughts get started they take root and grow.

    Thank you for also participating in Feminine Friday! Love ya, Sis!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I *love* getting feedback and comments. I will publish links to other blogs, just as long as they are not derogatory to a belief I hold in high esteem. I will post comments that disagree with my stance, as long as they are respectfully written. Most importantly, I will do my best to reply to all of my comments. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.